Monday, January 11, 2010

ROLL TIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

First, I cant stop listening to this song. Sabo tells me he won american idol or americas got talent or something... you know I hate those shows but this song is a banger

The road trip to socal was great, and snowboarding seems like it was forever ago. Two stories:

1) On day two, Sabo and I were at kirkwood where they were having power problems and could only keep 4 or 5 lifts running at a time. So there were a bunch of runs that hadn't been skied or snowboarded because people couldn't really get to them. So beside this one run we were doing, there was another run that was basically fresh powder because its lift was closed and not a lot of people could get to it. They were separated by this gentle gully filled with snow so I thought no biggy I can just cruise through it and then have an entire run to myself.

I knew I had to get some serious speed to get down and up this little valley in deep powder, so I bomb the top part of our run and make my break. The snow had filled in this gully making it look gentle, but what I basically was snowboarding into was this:



Any non idiot would realize this probably is bad news, but I have my moments and charge in anyway:


OWNED. I smashed into the far side of the hill at like 40 mph, flipped over and went head and shoulders first upside down into the snow. I thought I had completely shattered the front tip of my board, but luckily nothing happened (I still have no idea how). I managed to get about 5 pounds of snow packed INSIDE my goggles and in between my head and helmet, and it was right under the lift for the run that was open so I heard like 50 "OHHHHHHHHHH SH********************"s from people, which made me laugh.

2) Its the end of day 4 at Squaw Valley and sabo, scott, and I are trying to get in the last run. We were in some back bowl and got stuck on the top of some wide flat ridge, so scott and I had to unbind our snowboards and just jog to the next hill (flat areas are murder on a snowboard when you A) cant create your own momentum and B) dont have poles). So I jog ahead and clip up and go down the hill a bit to wait for the guys. All of a sudden I see a blur pass me on the left and start to pick up speed.... Its scott's snowboard, without scott. hahahahahahaah (he had bought it the day before for the new season). It has serious velocity at this point and 2 seconds later Sabo flys by on his skis to try and catch it but he can't even get close. Its whizzing by people (praise god it didnt hit anyone), hits a little ledge and goes airborne, and smashes into some unused hut at like a million miles per hour. Luckily it didn't break (Moral of the story: snowboards are resilient) but the image of scott sprinting over the ridge and then doing the walk of shame in his boots down the run cracked me up for 10 minutes

So theres a couple skiing stories so Mom won't yell at me for "no details," and now onto Socal.

We drove down on highway 1 right along the coast, and it was beautiful. We stopped in San Luis Obispo (everyone just calls it SLO, pronounced like "slow") to see Cal Poly where sean went to school. Rough life sean, its like the most beautiful campus ever and always great weather and set in these mountains right on the coast. People walk around in bathing suits and flip flops all year, ROUGH

We made it down to north hollywood and stayed with some of Sabo's friends from Carolina who were nice enough to put us up. It was pretty late when we got there, so we talked for a bit and passed out.

The next morning was the 7th, so we got up and went to check out Santa Monica before heading to Pasadena. Its a real rough place in january:



We chilled at the beach all morning and headed over to Pasadena around noon to catch some of the pregame chaos.

im hungry so Ill put up the rest later SEE YAAAAA

3 comments:

  1. gosh your life is ROUGHHH going from snowboarding with gorgeous views to the beach in like a week. JEALOUS. I can't believe Scott's board took off like that! And of course your MS Paint picture cracked me up-- it sounded like a good idea to me too. Oh well you just pulled a "WIN" crashing underneath the chair lift for people to say "OUCH... " hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Leah- Your Paint picture made me laugh out loud! So glad that you didn't get hurt... can't believe you went from snowboarding to the beach in just a matter of days! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bud for always making me smile! I'm glad you didn't relate the snowboarding crash story to me while you were still there! Sounds like great fun and so glad you worked on that tan a little and got home safe! Love you!

    ReplyDelete