Thursday, January 20, 2011

The rest of my day!

So I'll give you that good good on what I do the rest of my day after work

So around 12 I pack up my stuff and say goodbye to the nurses, today was Cirilia!



She is really great, I call her my novia peruana (peruvian girlfriend). She is a true general, she regulates on patients all day and runs thing with an iron fist, BOSS. We talk a lot when it is slow and she gives me all the cuzco tips. I built our "door" that you see in the background the other day so we could stop people from flooding in, hahahaha

Here is a picture of the front of my clinic, this is when I was leaving at noon. When I arrive in the morning, there is people filling the courtyard waiting to get helped!



Through those doors are two big waiting rooms, Triaje, Topico, a couple obstetrics, two dentists, a lab, x ray place, and a bunch of doctor rooms. Centro salud de ttio, BALLIN OUT

Today we had our resident homeless/alcoholic guy stumble into triage and ask to get helped. I told him he had to go pay at the front office and get a little receipt before we could help him (little piece of green paper in our case). He stumbles out and much to my surprise he comes back with one and we are about to help some cuts on his legs, when a lady pulls me aside and says he just reached into the office and grabbed someone elses paper hahahahaha. Drunk, yes, clever, yes. We helped him anyway, he deserved it!

So then I cab back home to eat lunch and usually see this waiting for me:



Lunch with Carly (Virginia), Sarah (Maryland), and Peter (UK). Today we had like a egg/vegetable scramble and some rice with like fried corn kernel type things and pineapple juice yEAAAAAAAAA

Then during 1:00 and 4:00 I usually read ESPN for a bit, go chill on the roof if its a nice day, and do my spanish homework before class. Occasionally I sneak in a 3 hour nap as well.

Then its off to spanish from 4:00 to 6:00, and we actually have a field trip today!!!! I am just as excited as I used to get for them in elementary school. Yesterday we were talking about chicha, this peruvian homemade fermented corn drink and we just asked our teacher if we could go get some. She insta said yes, so we are going to a typical peruvian restaraunt and drinking some chicha instead of reading books in class, uhhhhhhh ship it

Then after class its back here for dinner, after that we will usually play cards or walk around the city or go grind to techno music in bars or take salsa lessons or have house movie night (contraband market by our house has 1$ DVDs, we have like 300 movies in the house) or just hang out on the roof. Rough life!

Tomorrow I leave for the jungle at 4:30 am, no electricity out there so no internet or anything like that. Can't refrigerate meat as well, so I also get to try out being a vegetarian for 2 weeks! Bathing in waterfalls, watering and moving all these jungle plants, charting animals (seriously hahahaha), playing soccer and teaching english at these small jungle schools in the middle of no where, all that good stuff. Im pumped!

Ill take lots of pictures for when I get back, HOLLA

ps - here is a picture from our house on a tour last weekend. These are my good friends, but everyone but Sarah already had to go back, and Sarah leaves friday. Sad life. The first cycle of housemates is complete, and we just got a new shipment of like 6 people hahaha. Let the games beginnnnnnnnnnnnnn

6 comments:

  1. LOVE hearing what you are up to. I can't believe all your meals are made for you, what a life! You've basically always been a vegetarian (except for wings!) so hopefully the next 2 weeks won't be hard for you. Can't wait to hear what the jungle is like. Be careful charting those animals! Love you Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick for such an awesome update. Sounds like quite the life and right up your alley with all the interesting people and experiences. Plus, you are so good at going with the flow and it sounds like that is what one needs in the chaos of clinic! Be sooooooo careful in the jungle, and please don't decide to make that a career. I miss you and love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE LOVED VIDEO-CHATTING WITH YOU TODAY!!! The kids have been telling everyone that they got to see Uncle Nick today and talked to him in Spanish!

    Like Mom and Leah said, I loved the update and seeing the pictures of the nurse, the clinic, and your house. And I just have to say that it cracks me up that you took a picture of them sitting at the table ready to eat. Don't you HATE it when we do that to you? And here you are doing it to them!!!! But, it made the blog and I loved it!

    Praying for you as you head into the jungle. And Leah's right: You have practically "eaten like a rabbit" as Dad says anyway... Like who orders tacos with no meat add onions? Only Nick!!!

    Love you so much! Can't wait to hear about the jungle when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the call tonight. It is always good to hear #1 son's voice. Be careful in the jungle! Just the 12 hour bus ride there would be dangerous.....We appreciate the blog post and the photos....Love you bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome experience!! Thanks for sharing Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got your address from your mom. Love reading about your experiences in Peru. Sorry about the rain jacket though. I can see why those mosquito nets are so important. No screens in that place! Anxiously awaiting your next post. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete